PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How Low Should We Go?
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2004, 09:46
HeloTeacher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting point Matthew, but from my experience I have always thought that approaches are designed around the idea that at DH/MAP you either land or miss. The idea of deciding to land and then missing, to my mind, contravenes that thinking. Even in a traditional approach at some point you are 'committed' to the ground.

And Nick, I agree with that logic. I have always, to this point, been taught in my offshore approaches to reduce airspeed to the minimum certified IFR speed for just the reason you specify, a comfortable transition to the deck. I have found it interesting that the 'newer' stability/autopilot systems have had higher min-IFR speeds than the venerable old Bells I've flown.

It had been reasonably common for us to slow to 40-50 KIAS when the landing area was limited (i.e. hangar beside threshold) to avoid just that cruise past the threshold that you describe. Can you please let me know what has made this so difficult to do in the 21st century? Not being confrontational, just curious.

I firmly believe that it is infrastructure and public education that will allow the helicopter industry to blossom, not new technical advances or whiz-bang features. Just my opinion.