PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BK117
Thread: BK117
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2004, 08:23
John Eacott

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Arrow

TD,

Picking at nits, but the max hook allowable on the 117B is 1300kg, and the upgraded Tq is an option, not a standard on the B2. Fairly expensive, as you say, requiring replacement Tq gauge & upgraded transducers (4 off), plus rescheduling of the FCU (IIRC, I'll have to check later). Similarly, the tail rotor blades are off the 117C model, and not a standard mod for -B2 upgrade. Really nice to have, though, and make a stunning difference to the aircraft, especially heavy and/or high altitude. With the standard tail rotor blades, cramp in the left calf was almost commonplace with all that left pedal needed, but I can only think of one or two occassions that the T/R has approached full left since we upgraded to the -C tail rotor.

Regardless of all the times that various Authorities tell us to only buy from manufacturers or OEI suppiers, a cautionary tale. When we fitted the -C TRB's, we also had a tail rotor assembly, complete from Eurocopter. On the first run, the pedals required 20-30lb force to hold neutral, and Eurocopter's response was along the lines of "get used to it, not our fault, there's a 117 in NZ the same problem, pilots hate it".

After a lot of checking, it turned out the factory had assembled the tail rotor hub using Bo105 weight arms When the correct parts were supplied, all became sweetness and light

DC,

Fuel consumption about 300lt/hr, or 240kg/hr. DOC, and known aircraft for sale, PM or e mail me