PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's more important Public or Flight Safety?
Old 5th Mar 2004, 04:17
EddieHeli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mil training etc

Re the UK military training on Turbines, cos thats what they are going to fly, please explain why the Fixed wing guys train on Piston Powered Grobs etc when they are going to fly fast jets.
Are military helicopter pilots so different. I believe the mil helicopter pilots do some fixed wing training on piston single planks before they go rotary anyway, so why not go to R44's after planks, oh yeah I forgot its OPM (Other peoples money) they're spending. Some of it mine actually as a UK taxpayer.

As regards the US doing 3000 hrs in Single Pistons costing as much as the UKs 1000 hrs in Twin Turbines, yeah but they get 3000 hrs of air cover, so I guess if we used them in the UK we get a choice, either 3 times as much cover for the same cost or reduce the costs by 2/3rds for the same coverage.

You're right it won't change as the UK heirarchy are generally ex military anyway so the same mindset prevails. Common sense doesn't seem to enter the UK system, otherwise why is a US Registered aircraft allowed to have reduced maintenance levels than the same aircraft on the G Reg. The safety argument doesn't stack up otherwise why is the aircraft allowed to fly in our airspace if it is so unsafe to maintain to FAA standards.

(sorry for going off topic but its kinda related as its part of the same reasoning)

Eddie