PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's more important Public or Flight Safety?
Old 5th Mar 2004, 03:38
HeliMark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T.C., how could your twin turbine cost less then a R-22/44 each year? Even if the got 3,000 hours on each, although I do not know the TBO, can't be more then maybe one to two overhauls a year. Or the MD500 that goes a year+ before overhaul. The police helicopters over here are used a police cars in the air in a sense. They do not just fly around blindly waiting for a call, they look for crime. Also they do get used alot. You may not respond to "minor" stuff, where we do. It works very well for us. And as a former ground pounder, I know the value of it from both sides. Many times I have had crooks tell me that they avoid the area when they know the helicopter may be around.

Before you go bashing how police helicopters are used on the this side of the pond, come vist several agency's and get an understanding of them. There is a number of studies done showing that crime is decreased around 10% because of the helicopters being up. We both do a great job for our respective methods.