PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - military pilots
Thread: military pilots
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2004, 18:32
empty pockets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question mil heli flying

Thanks for the replies so far. Having done a little more research and searched this forum for the relevant threads, I have decided to look at heli opportunities in the forces as a whole.

My primary interest in a military career is to become a competent and experienced heli pilot, flying as often as possible whilst performing challenging/varied duties as an officer. From reading other threads, I understand that I would be desk bound after my first tour in the AAC, which is not a wholly attractive proposition. Without descending into a cross-forces slanging match, could anyone shed light on the following queries. I intend to take next one day off work next week to visit my local forces career centre.

ARMY:

I gather that the NCO pilots are the ones who get the long flying career unless I get into the apache programme [am i right that its 1yr training to type and a 4yr commitment?] or become a flying instructor. The apache programme would be great, but does anyone have an idea of the expected intake over the next few years? I would not be undeterred by impeded promotion prospects as an instructor if the flying was there. Is this varied flying and how much of it is there annually?

Assuming I have the skills and some luck, 1 year @ sandhurst + 18 months to wings + 5 yr apache brings me to the end of my commission. What are the chances of this happening [prbably nil but do tell]. What then? I would be hard pushed to extend my service period only to spend it in a desk job. How easy is it to transfer between the forces during and after a commission?

NAVY:

I don't know jack about the Fleet Air Arm as I only looked into it this morning! Please tell me about the selection process. I only know of one friend of mine who tried to get in as a pilot a few years ago but was knocked back after the aptitude tests. What is the typical length of commission required for pilots?

I'd imagine that the first 2 1/2 years would be pretty much as per the AAC [officer training + wings]. What then? Would I be heading desk bound after a few years or is there a greater possibility of a long and varied flying career. TIMEX suggests going down the 'junglies route'. What is this? I've seen FAA pilots referred to as crabs or junglies, whats the difference?

RAF:

Being a bit of a doofus sometimes, I 'd ruled out the RAF as I dream of flying a rotary a/c rather than a plank - even though I was in the air cadets and flew in an RAF sea king [D'OH!].

Correct me if I'm wrong [as I probably am] but do all RAF pilots not simply apply as 'pilot' then get streamed off into the various discilpines [helis, fast jet etc] according to aptitude and ability. Is a preference to fly helis not considered?

Again, what is the typical commission offered and how much of that will be spent as an active pilot?

GENERAL:

If you've got this far, thanks a bunch. I've lost count myself of the number of questions asked in this post, but I need as much info as I can before I decide which route to take. I've still got space for a few more though, so might as well use it!!

I've asked about commission lengths for each service. I'm not obsessed with quitting after the minimum, I just need to know if there's going to be a way out if I find I'm not suited to the military [I believe I am but haven't experienced it yet]. Sticking to the minimums [6yr AAC, 6yr return of service RAF, no idea for FAA] which would you choose if you were primarily interested in an aviation orientated commission? Would you recommend a mixed service career? [i.e. FAA with secondments in the others] and how easy is this to achieve?

Lastly [yes, i'm nearly finished] please clear up something for me. If I apply to the Navy, for example, and fail pilot selection. Do I then still have to join up in a non flying role or am I still a free agent? What is the situation if I get chopped before receiving my wings?

Thanks again, I'll shut up now