PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence: Public ignorance, the media, and cutbacks
Old 4th Mar 2004, 17:37
BillHicksRules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biggus,

I did not say that any of the examples were perfect fits. I was postulating that we need to change our focus.

We no longer have an empire. We no longer have large numbers of overseas dependencies (I know we still have some before anyone jumps in on that). We no longer have a need for a nuclear deterrent since unique conditions that potentially supported the desire to have one have long since gone ( I do not want to hijack this thread on the pros and cons of a continued nuclear deterrence. I would be happy to start a separate thread on that should anyone so desire). We no longer have a War Ministry but instead a Ministry of DEFENCE. As you have stated carriers are offensive so we do not need them.

As for the Japanese Navy operating far from the Pacific region I do not understand the significance of that. The Irish Navy recently operated in the Indian Ocean with I believe a visit to Australie and New Zealand (although I could be wrong about the ANZ visits) but that hardly makes them an offensive force.

WEBF,

As to your point about the publics lack of knowledge about defence matters being the reason that the defence budget gets cut I have to disagree. Since when has public opinion mattered either way on government policy decisions. I am not only talking about this government but almost every one I can remember and before that too.

With regards to the death of the Queen Mum keeping the Sea Jet scrapping off the front pages of the papers I think you are being rather naïve. It would have had to have been the slowest newsday in the last 100 years for the Sea Jet to have made front page news with its retirement. I am not even sure it made the front page on the Navy News in that period but I could be wrong I have missed a couple of issues.

Cheers

BHR