PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KLM/AF=Lost bags
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2004, 15:14
gofer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
experience

We from my ripe old age, I can now confirm what I was taught by my parents 5 decades ago.

1) travel light (ie cabin baggage only if possible)
2) most things you need are available in stores at the other end - so why carry them ? Indeed in many cases they are cheaper there anyway.
3) if you do need something - wear it or take it in small quantities (you don't need 200g of toothpaste for a weeks trip - a mini-tube is stacks enough).
4) on multileg trips through large airports - when you can't avoid having check-in stuff - select the hub you are using with care. Some are better at short layover (rush connections) others not.
5) For the NOT's in 4 above - check baggage to the hub only - go pick it up and check in all over again for the next leg.

This is the ONLY way to go through CDG and probably also AMS. FRA is appaling for "tight" connections (99% delayed rate if connection is under 90 mins is my experience). LHR generally don't loose the bags they just get delayed and if nobody screams that they were not on the connecting flight - then go walkabout (especially true for boxes with possibly interesting contents (PC, Screen, TV, HiFi, whatever)).

BRU - so far very good - CPH same - also MUC and most small to medium sized places.