PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tales of An Old Aviator .... The Big Chill
Old 4th Mar 2004, 12:06
Duke Elegant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite a few years later , I was on the other side of the world , wasting my day away at my home airport airport in Canada. Next to me was a young airline first officer that was in the process of leaving aviation. I told him of the story about what I'd heard on the HF radio in another far away country and the crash of the Aztec that I'd so wontanly coverted.

He asked me to stay put and went home and returned with his church news letter. It told of a Christian aircraft engineer that had sought solace in the church so that he could live with his terrible mistake when , along time ago in a foreign land, he had only hand tightened the fuel injector nozzles (or a fitting , I don't remember) during a maintaince check.

It is also sad that faulty design was apparent in that the turbochargers on a C model Aztec are at the bottom of the engine where any small fuel leak can lead to a fire. Turbochargers are better placed atop the engine as is today's practice.

I hope the engineer has since healed the gaping wound in his soul. I know the church was there for him all the way.

I forgave him many years ago.