PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Very Best use for the R22
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2004, 06:38
MPR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My opinion is based on quite simple mathematics.....

I have a database, a large complicated, but probably interesting database to most people in this forum, some numbers taken from this database that might amaze you.....

There have been 414 R22 variants imported to the UK & registered on the G- Reg, since G-BISI was registered on 07-04-1981 by Sloane H/c.

Of these 69 have been cancelled as destroyed. This equates to 16.666% of them, or in other words for every 6 that get registered - 1 crashes & is destroyed beyond economical repair.

I haven't counted those that have been rebuilt, re-used or exported as spares after crashes. In other words - I have been generous.

If you want details...
R22 x 23 (8 Destroyed)
R22A x 13 (4 Destroyed)
R22B x 272 (51 Destroyed)
R22B2 x 88 (4 Destroyed)
R22HP x 10 (1 Destroyed)
R22M x 8 (1 Destroyed)

I do understand that the R22 has made the world of rotary flight more accessible to more people, we should all be thankful for that.

However, buy a Ferrari, throw caution to the wind & drive it wildly you might get scare yourself (and get a big repair bill). Buy an R22 & fly it like driving a Ferrari badly, different ball game. You won't be around to get the repair bill.

You wanted to know what the verbal bashing of the R22 was based upon, now you know.

Any questions, please ask.

RW-1 - sounds an excellent idea! Maybe a Notar would be better suited? Less noise = get closer!

Last edited by MPR; 5th Mar 2004 at 01:57.