PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Instructor - Civilian or Ex Military?
Old 4th Mar 2004, 06:14
Zlin526

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FL,

Desperately trying to remain on topic, but failing miserably, I think you'll find that there aren't as many military or ex-mil pilots flying old aeroplanes at DX these days; maybe there were more when you frequented the place? There seems to have been a grand clearout of military types in recent years, especially at the Fighter Collection. The few that remain are exceptional and skilled at what they do. The days of the military being the UK authority on old aeroplanes and flying displays has long passed. Certainly now, there are more pilots at Duxford with relevant experience on old aeroplanes rather than mates of the Chief Pilot..Insurance requirements now dictate who flies these aeroplanes.

At Shuttleworth, there's no choice; they are ALL current or ex-mil pilots bar one because of the collection's policy of using test pilots. I stand to be corrected by Airbedane, but engine handling is sure to be at the top of the training agenda for these aeroplanes and I believe it works well.

I'm not having a dig at the ex-mil guys (although on reflection it probably appears that way) but maybe having somebody else paying (taxpayer), and somebody else to repair it for them are to blame? in my experience only a few have had any empathy with the aeroplane/engine combination, and these have been pilots who have already flown or owned their own vintage aeroplanes as well as flying for Queen & country.

(edited to avoid upsetting those with sensitive egos)

Last edited by Zlin526; 4th Mar 2004 at 06:34.