PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it worth it...?
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2004, 03:45
GormanInkarnati

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am not sure whether any of you are flying for SAA, Airlink, SAX, Comair, Nationwide or 1- Time, but these are the opinions I am interested in as I am not planning to leave South Africa if at all possible.

It is pretty clear to me that there are two types of pilots out there: The experienced ones (jet time etc.) who knows what it is all about (and it doesn't seem that rosy) and the wannabees (maybe some twin-piston etc.) who are still dreaming about that wonderfull airline job. I am sad to say the latter includes me.

Bluesafrica, Jelly Doughnut, and Captain Magic have you read through the links on Emirates? Very interesting...and worrying!

Anyhow back to the South African situation. How screwed up is the industry here. Not only do we fool ourselves by applying to SAA, Airlink, and SAX (Affirmative action you see) but you can forget to compete for other jobs if you don't know the right people. It is very much a case of who you know here - or am I wrong?

Is it really worth having the office with a view at 35000 ft if you don't see your kids growing up and the wife divorces you?

No job security and no way to plan your life more than a week ahead?

I love flying but the cost (and future cost) is probably going to kill me.

GI