PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can you fly G-reg aircraft in the UK on an FAA licence?
Old 3rd Mar 2004, 22:28
Heliport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helinut

Do any UK schools allow a 'stranger' UK PPL to self-fly hire on production of licence/logbook without a thorough check flight? If not, there's no difference there between CAA/JAA and FAA PPL holders.
And, if a PPL is new to flying in that area, don't they require an area famil flight with an instructor? Again, if so, no difference.
I think, without checking, that passing the Air Law exam is compulsory. It would make sense since it's about the ANO and Rules of the Air Regs.

UK schools probably would prefer UK students to do their PPLs with them and, as you and pilotwolf say, they probably vary in their attitudes to FAA trained PPLs. But, just like the rest of us, schools need to make money. I wonder how many schools would turn away (or discourage by unreasonable obstacles) what could be a regular source of SFH income, provided an FAA trained PPL is competent when checked - and can legally fly on his FAA licence.
If a school imposed unreasonable conditions, the potential customer would be likely to go somewhere else. There's plenty of competition out there and it might be argued that a school which imposes unreasonable conditions just because someone went abroad to train deserves to miss out.

I suppose the crucial questions are:

(As Datcon asked) Is an FAA PPL licence holder permitted to fly G-reg aircraft in UK airspace on his/her FAA licence?

Does the CAA impose any additional requirements?

If so, what are they?