PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's more important Public or Flight Safety?
Old 3rd Mar 2004, 17:05
headsethair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Handy: First here's a link to the specs of the R44 Police : http://www.robinsonheli.com/R44Police.htm

Second: no I am not saying that the current crews are too expensive. I am trying to open up a debate about how we can adopt some of the excellent standards seen elsewhere and assisty the cause of police aviation in the UK.

Let me, for now, leave the military training to one side. Because that's the most obvious no-brainer - the 44 would be an excellent mil trainer (and is used as such in some parts of the world).

As I understand it, every ASU is under immense financial pressure and can only afford a minimal amount of flying. The £3m machine sits rotting for most of its life. The crews get frustrated.

Whilst the 44 cannot be a direct replacement for a twin, my argument is that it would make an excellent replacement for many tasks - flown by the same crews. But - only pilot and observer if you want to use the full 3 hrs endurance. Why do you have 2 observers ? Is it a CPS thing ?

It's worth looking at, isn't it ? Otherwise we are going to see a crisis point reached in ASU work - they are going to have all the toys but no money to use them.

Take a look at the spec and tell me if I'm running down the wrong alley. TC still around ? Appreciate your thoughts.......