PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Don't Be Fuelish
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2004, 16:04
KAT TOO

Kaptin M

Your post gave me a good chuckle this Morning and i assume some of it was tounge in cheek?

I have no problem if in extreme circumstances someone lands with or just a above min reserve fuel following a diversion or after an unexpected hold at destination. It is worth remembering that if you divert with only min reserve + alternate fuel in the tanks then at arrival at your alt: you will have not much more than min reserve anyway, so holding over head at destination is an option

you would need to be certain of your approach time and the reason for the delay. Snow clearing operations always take longer than ATC think at least in the UK. I have yet to see a full sweep and inspection take less than 30-40 minutes. Given last weeks weather condition at some airports on the East coast where snow was blowing back on to the airfield as quick as it was cleared it is not surprising that it took longer than thought.

As for comments about carrying (or not ) extra fuel it could well be that it was due in part to landing performance on contaminated runways, braking action etc.

Most regional jets don't have thrust reversers so the Captain & F/O would have had plenty to think about that day. All this crap about company fuel policies is just that: in my company at least Commander are expected to take the fuel they need but no more, it is up to the Commander to decide what is needed.

In the mean time lets await the out come and learn from it!