PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Instructor - Civilian or Ex Military?
Old 3rd Mar 2004, 04:20
BEagle

Received 329 Likes on 115 Posts
That takes me back, FL! I alaways found Pete L a great chap to fly with and he never hit me in the back of the bonedome!

Funny thing was Gerry M went on to be a very professional FJ test pilot - saw him a couple of years ago down in StAthan!

As an ex-mil QFI now UK/FE(PPL), I find it important to remember that Bloggs is paying to enjoy his flying! Pi$$ him off and he'll take up extreme philately or some similar hobby. Ex-mil students also find it a bit of a culture shock to discover that they have to clean the windscreen, pull the ac out of the hangar, refuel it and re-oil it; there's no 'starter crew' or anyone to pull out chocks..... Plus the ac is flown within the heart of the envelope, not at the limit! They also have to learn to navigate in UK Class G airspace at 2-3000ft rather than down in the weedisphere or up at Flight Level Nosebleed.

Illustrating a training event with an anecdote is fine (Andy W did that: "I forgot the checks completely in my first 2 or 3 forced landings...." "One of my first Seafire students lost his prop - it fell off") - but "When I was on xxxxxxs we did it this way" just annoys folk