PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's more important Public or Flight Safety?
Old 3rd Mar 2004, 04:18
headsethair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
handy:

Given that you accept that in the current regulatory environment it can't happen do you consider the 3 million pound helicopter is too expensive?

The problem is this - single engine helis can overfly congested areas at 1500 ft - possibly soon to be 1000. Why is this any safer than 500 ? However, given the high quality camera systems now available (as fitted to the R44 Police) there isn't really a reason for an observation helicopter to be much lower. (I am someone who has seen the tapes from the R44 Police......believe me the camera is very good.)
Yes - I do believe that the £3m machine (and its Fixed and DOCs) is too expensive on a county by county basis. Surely a Police resource should be able to be used whatever the reason - there shouldn't be a meeting to decide if the emergency is affordable.

"In the emergency services the R44 Police version can do 95% of the stuff that a twin can do"
However as a lot of police units are providing an air ambulance service as well I would say that is incorrect.

Accepted. It is stating the blindingly obvious - there ain't no way a 44 will ever be a HEMS or evacuation beast. I'm talking observation - which is most of the police work. And yes - they do use the R44 Police at night - it has an infra red light and camera. But - single engine at night in the UK ? It's OK if it's a Private flight - but for some reason best known to the CAA, the same machine becomes more dangerous once it is declared a Public Transport flight and the only thing that's changed is that it has paying passengers!

Bit like the overwater argument. I can fly myself & non-payers down the Thames through London without floats. But as soon as I charge for a seat, I have to have floats.........no sense. No stats to explain this rule.