PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's more important Public or Flight Safety?
Old 2nd Mar 2004, 22:03
headsethair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TC: I hope we get to meet one day. I am not at all sad - just a happy little logical thinker. I want to see helicopter aviation grow in the UK. And the only sector where this is happening right now is in the private single engine area - it is going to be record-breaking year for UK sales. (In which, I might add, I have no business.)

There is no reason on earth why the UK military couldn't use the R44 as an ab initio machine. Then they could train more pilots and address some of the horrendous shortages. What IS the point in having a fleet of Apaches and no one to fly them for 2 years, as has been the case ??

In the emergency services the R44 Police version can do 95% of the stuff that a twin can do, given a better regulatory environment. And at less than half the cost of running. This wouldn't get rid of the twins. It would be in addition to. And the funding can come from the savings in the approximately 4 police cars each 44 can replace.

This all = more employment for more pilots, engineers and other support. A more effective spend than having to debate whether you can actually afford to have that £3m twin launched.

If you have to comb the countryside for a lost person, a £400k Police 44 can do the job just as well as a £3m twin.For about £500 an hour, manned.

The police have just announced new rapid-reaction dedicated M25 patrols - which will cost a fortune. Why not use a couple of 44s as motorway controllers ?