PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Instructor - Civilian or Ex Military?
Old 2nd Mar 2004, 21:32
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've flown with some excellent civvy instructors, particularly rotary, but still opt for mil/ex-mil instructors when I have the option. The military instruction technique can be strict and demanding (in a military environment), but it's second to none in quality.
There was no such thing in the UAS as 'good enough'. Until you could do something properly and consistently, you didn't move to the next exercise. I concede there were different considerations: (a) the next stage for more than half the studes was Jet Provosts at Cranwell so the basic training had to be thorough; (b) HM was paying so time spent perfecting an exercise didn't have any (direct) financial implication.
Since then, I've been lucky to fly with/be instructed by ex-Mil instructors quite often. Although less formal than in the military environment, the same superb military technique shines through.
All the good qualities are there, but not those aspects which probably wouldn't be acceptable in private instruction.
I understand the point Aim Far and FW make about pace and 'robust' criticism but I've found that, away from the military environent, mil instructors adapt to your pace and ability. More patient and less pressure (ie no bollocking) - and, of course, no regular check flights with the Sqn Ldr CFI to worry about.
Boing_737
The Chipmunk was worse. Not only could the QFI somehow 'see' everything you did wrong, but your bone dome was within easy reach - an effective incentive to get things right!
Aim Far's point about instructors responding to mistakes is relevant to all FI's. My first QFI was good, but with one flaw. I remember him explaining over a drink in the Mess the need to adapt to a student's personality etc. Agreed so far. He then gave an example, comparing me with another of his students, saying he wouldn't bang his bone dome or give him the hard time he gave me because he'd get rattled and make more mistakes. Wrong! Theory: 10/10. Practical: 4/10. Although the other student was quieter and less outgoing than me, nothing rattled him - I was the one who occasionally got rattled! All that said, he was a good instructor who followed the tried and tested military methods.

========================
BEagle
If you read this thread - that was Flt Lt Pete L talking about Jerry Margiotta (Sp?). As for worrying about check flights with the CFI, remember the late, great Sqn Ldr Andy Whittaker? Never raised his voice, never had to. We all wanted to impress him because a 'Well done, good flight' from him was really worth something. The Boss (M.E.) was such a kindly chap he said that to everyone every time, regardless.

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 3rd Mar 2004 at 05:31.