PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATCO murdered in Zurich (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2004, 20:36
luoto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TrafficTraffic: I do not know Swiss media law so cannot comment on the specifics in THAT CASE and certainly until a person is found guilty of the crime I think ordinarily they should not be named anyway (I support media freedom, even though many argue that such a thing is not correct). I watched the UK "The Day Today" or whatever the programme was called that aired in 2003 showing transport chaos over the UK and culminating in a crash over LHR. I know it was fiction but they named the ATC there and later acquitted her or was it not guilty. I think that that programme was said to be well researched on the whole YET in that case, maybe like the ZRH case, the person should not have been named, even in part.

There is a problem when reporting cases where you CANNOT report, like a rape case victim, yet sometimes the identity comes out through jigsaw identification. One paper says she was a teacher, another says she teaches maths, another says she was a blonde lady, another says she had not been working at the school for a long time and then when you look at all the stories you can often see who it was.

I think however the nationality of the controller is justified reporting in case it emerged that perhaps the person did not have correct language training or whatnot (NOT SUGGESTING THAT WAS THE CASE FOR THE DECEASED DANE).

"I defy one person to demonstrate to me anything positive that could have come from publishing the details of the person involved."

By your same tone, what at all positive came from even writing about the incident ?

You know, many of the leaks that people here complain about come from their own industry peers who get "retainers" or "drinkies" from grateful journalists, in house PR spinners trying to make the best of the situation, industry consultants who are boosting little knowledge to get greater leverage and prowess in the media, rivals or even well intentioned people thinking they are helping. Not all the media can be painted black just because we disagree with something.