PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Pilot Meeting
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2004, 20:11
bus canuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For o.o.t.b,

You have my sympathies. This is a very tough decision. We moved from Canada just over a year ago. The upgrade was a huge factor. 4 months after I got here, they up and changed the rules. I now don't even qualify until a minimum 3 years. The "experience" issue for DECs is horse-bleep. There are 2-3 year F/O's here, over 40 years old, with tons of experience - Captain - wide body - excellent ride reports - you name it. They aren't upgraded for 1 simple reason...economics. It's cheaper to bring in DECs. When questioned as to the obligation by the company to keep its promises, the CP said, “When you take an ex-pat job, you have to expect this kind of treatment. YOU should have factored that in to your decision to come here.” (That’s a direct quote.) I suggest you heed his advice.

We do like the lifestyle in DXB, and the guys are excellent to work with, so I don't mind being an F/O. However, with a family, we don't save a dime. If you have kids, you need the Captain's pay here to have a savings plan. The SrVP Flt Ops was recently bragging to a new class how well the DEC program was working. He said it would go on indefinitely. Therefore, I think you must prepare for at least 5-7 years before the left seat. That’s IF the planned expansion continues.

Bottom line: if a quick upgrade is a clincher, don’t come.

PS. Good for you to care enough to get on here and ask questions!