PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - military pilots
Thread: military pilots
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2004, 15:18
ralphmalph

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Army Pilots

Empty pockets,
You asked alot of questions about Army aviation!!!, I'll try and answer as many as I can.

1/ At 23 your chances are fairly good. Do you have a degree?, if so your promotion will be that much quicker (Army careers will be able to help with all info with pay and terms of service).
As far as improving your chances the main thing you can do is to look at the procedure for applying to RCB (Regular Commisions Board) and brushing up on current affairs.

2/Direct Entry to the AAC is availible however competition is fierce and a strong year at Sandhurst is required to be selected.
A big factor in the selection of an officer in the AAC is that you will have the ability and desire to lead soldiers, not just to fly.

3/The training pipeline after a year at Sandhurst is around 18 months to wings, thereafter there is currently a short delay of between 3-4 months for conversion to type(Lynx Gazelle).
Ab-initio pilots are converting to AH, however many are gaining some experience on other types prior to AH.

4/ For possible postings have a chat with the Careers office, they will give the up to date locations (Germany, Wattisham,N Ireland, Dishforth).

5/ I have recently finished flying training and am finding life in the army superb, there are downsides but are'nt there in any job!!!
Op tours come around with different frequency depending on where you are and how lucky/unlucky you are .....thats life!

hope this was some help

ralph