PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Pilot Meeting
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2004, 03:20
Mo Heekan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OOtheB,

Well I'm sorry to say that EK generally (and I hate to generalise, but this is the case), don't give a Monkey's #oss about its employees; and I'm TRULY sorry to say this. On a 'one to one' basis, this is not 'generally' true. We all look after each other and enjoy our working environment. However, when you look higher up for support, you WILL get that support 'only if' it doesn't affect the job prospects of the Manager above you'. Any threat to the 'said job position' and you will be royally shafted.

Now, this shouldn't put you and your Hubby off in coming to DXB. You just need to be aware that 'nobody cares' on a managerial level. We all do on a 'humanistic' (one 2 one) level, but apply that to decisions that will affect you and your family long term, then you may have a problem. If anyone disagrees, then I'll mention subjects such as: accommodation, upgrades, medical (e.g. changed policy re pregnancy), professional support (FCI 001/04: 'the pilot is solely responsible for everything and the management take no responsibility for: morale, communication or issues that may affect our jobs).

Mmmmm - See, there I go again: and I hate doing it, but we are at crossroads in our development where we need to decide where we are going on a personal and ‘personnel’ level; and that takes MORAL COURAGE. This means making choices that aren't based on selfish motivations (protecting our annual budget so we get a nice bonus) or 'being scared' that if we support our staff we'll get 'shafted' in a few months. It really amazes me that people still live in fear of making decisions because ‘their boss may’ not promote them or keep them in their comfy pipe and slippers lifestyle. Won’t these people look at themselves in 10 or 20 years time and ask some REALLY important questions?

Anyhow OOtB I’ve said enough. Make a decision that is based on facts and what is good for your family, not the thrill of another lifestyle. It may fade if it doesn't meet your expectations. I love DXB, but only on MY terms....