PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - military pilots
Thread: military pilots
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2004, 02:09
empty pockets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation military pilots - advice please!!

I'M NOW LOOKING AT ALL MILITARY HELI FLYING OPPORTUNITIES AND SO WOULD WELCOME ANY INPUT FROM PILOTS IN THE 3 FORCES: SEE FURTHER DOWN THE THREAD FOR MY LATEST POST.

hi,

I posted on the career/carrer advice thread but felt I would grab the attention of those I am directing my questions to with the appropriate heading.

Having until only recently neglected the military side of heli aviation, I am now trying to gather as much info. as possible on the Army Air Corps selection/training process and career prospects. I am going take a day off work to visit my local Army careers service, but would appreciate some insight from those military pilots amongst you [British Army, current or ex].

1] At 23 and with only a few years in the Air Cadets as previous mil experience, what are my realistic chances of being selected as an AAC pilot? What could I do to improve my chances?

2] Please clear up for me whether I would have to join as green army and transfer over [this would give me second thoughts] or is direct entry possible? Please note that should I sign up to serve my country, free flight training would not be the sole reason - I just don't fancy signing a commission only never to be transferred to the AAC. I would serve to the best of my ability and see out my commission.

3] The Army website says the typical commission is 7 years. Over this period, what would be the typical flying hours accumulated? What conversion would be required to a civil licence? [Who knows, I may love the army and never need this].

4] Where would I be based??? [I know the 1st year is Sandhurst]

5] Whats life like in general as a Mil pilot? The pay for liutenants looks to match the raises I can expect to get if I carry on in my current job, but I would have to consider my girlfriend. How much time is spent at home/on base and how much away on tours?

Anything you could tell me would be great, as I could do with some good background info before I go along to see the Army reps.

Cheers,
Phil.

[Heliport, please move this to the mil forum if you think it'd be more appropriate]

Last edited by empty pockets; 4th Mar 2004 at 17:48.