PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When did you last do a training engine off landing?
Old 1st Mar 2004, 21:38
KENNYR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decimal, I thought it very strange that in Canada we did full engine off landings (engine and gearbox uncoupled, engine at idle) to the ground on a very unforgiving surface. The run on takes a heavy toll on the skids of most helicopters.

In the Brit Mil, all (or at least the majority) of EOLs are carried out to prepared grass, much gentler on the helicopter undercarriage.

The R22 is a bit*h to stop on tarmac, the B206 is not a problem as it can be virtually hovered before cushioning touchdown.

As far as EOLs to an unprepared surface, I cant help you there. I have only done training EOLs to a prepared surface (grass or tarmac). However even doing EOLs to a prepared grass surface can be "hairy" at times especially with a nervous student. Again , it depends on the type of helicopter and the inertia in the disc. The Westland Scout autos like a brick sh*thouse and the run-on is quite long under normal conditions. The Gazelle is very mild-mannered in auto and the run on can be as short as you want to make it (holding the flare a second longer with pitch applied). The R22, for its size is, as I have said before, is a real bit** to stop short. B206, a dream to EOL with the high inertial rotor system.

(edited to answer Decimals question)

Last edited by KENNYR; 2nd Mar 2004 at 00:52.