PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nigerian expat f/o's
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2004, 19:05
George Tower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happy Pilot

Firstly regarding the employment issue, I would say that it would make perfect sense for these Nigerian pilots to be employed in Nigeria, however it is usually a case of supply and demand where ever you are in the world. I guess it would also be more cost effective for any operator in Nigeria to employ locals as there will then be fewer costs incurred due to having to provide accommodation etc.

As you know in Africa there is a lot of flying done by overseas contract companies whether it be in the oil industry or in aid and humanitarian activities. Many countries there for derive a benefit from having these companies fly in Africa and as such as a matter of principle I am against too much political interferance.

Your accusation of arrogance against me seem to stem from my opinion being different to yours. I have lived in South Africa for 8 years and over that time my opinions have evolved. I see Africa through a different perspective than what I did all that time ago. What is without question is that in South Africa there is a new social divide emerging in the form of a very small black elite class, whilst the majority live in poverty. I'm sure you can count on the fingers of one hand the number of true democracies in Africa, and my observations are that the privaledged few in Africa are generally those who are closely tied with whatever regeme is in charge at the time.