PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reginald S Potter; Lies, Spies and Security Breaches
Old 29th Nov 2001, 22:30
capt waffoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Reginald S Potter; Lies, Spies and Security Breaches

Firstly, read this article from today's Times about the shenanigans and deceits that some of the Reg Spotter brigade get up to.
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,...552323,00.html

Is it any wonder those guys are banged up in Greece if this is the way they've been carrying on? A Greek source said today that this group had been warned three times in the previous week not to take photos of military installations. If so it begins to look like a huge own goal based on a very cynical attitude towards authority.
"IF", I said...

Nonetheless interesting points arise from the article in the Times;

"They know when Mildenhall is expecting ...F117s..."

"When six B52s flew into...confronted by 200 spotters..."

"Accidentally (!) driving down a prohibited lane at Palmdale AFB..."

"Enter a museum...self guided tour...claim they are 'lost'..."

It seems to me that if our military security, plans and operations are so transparent that it is no wonder folks get antsy at these people crawling all over Air Force Bases claiming thy'd just got "lost" from the nearby museum!

Perhaps I'm a bit naiive, but surely the military don't publish movements of F117s or B52s in advance, or do they? Are military flight plans available to the public? If so every time Uncle Sam mounts a raid from Mildenhall or Diego Garcia perhaps Reg S Potter or his Taliban chums are reading the info before the raid even takes off. Is this a good idea?

Is there a huge breach in military security (as there appears to be) or is there a more rational explanation?

Whilst I have no axe to grind against registration spotters (though I take the Greek Government's line that I cannot comprehend what the hell they are doing it for) surely their activity may well be an indication that our securtiy is far too lax and needs to be drastically tightened?