PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Pilot Meeting
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2004, 15:57
Ghostflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Giovane,

Time to hop onto the fence; I feel very uncomfortable at the slagging match that has begun and I am not sure it is particularly helpful. All it will do is polarise opinions.

I was at the meeting and was surprised that so little new was forthcoming and at some of the arguements made and attitudes expressed, by both sides of the house but don't believe this is necessarily the best forum to air any grievances. However, if you want to come to EK and base your decisions solely on what has been said over the last couple of days, I think you would be paying yourself a dis-service.

Were I applying now I would make a list of the reasons that I wanted to come to Dubai and then another of the things that I thought might be show stoppers. I'd see what I could live with and what I couldn't and then make a reasoned decision.

There have been a lot of frustrations expressed over the last few days. Have the underlying fundamentals of the company or the quality of life issues really changed enough to make you wary of coming? I don't know the answer, only you do based upon your personal situation.

Obviously, had the news with regards to pay and allowances been more positive, the picture would have been different. There is more to life than money, the judgement is whether you believe EK will make you feel valued and whether your family will enjoy their time here. Its perhaps better, if you know someone, to talk to someone within the company away from the glare of recent events to see if you can get a better feel for the overall picture. I am certain you do not get a fair reflection of the views of all EK pilots on this forum, some of the views aren't even from guys in the company.

Idunno,

I have no idea how the DECs have been received, not many have filtered through yet. Personally, I'd be horrified if anyone would be so unprofessional as to let their own disappointment in a company policy effect the way in which they dealt with the individuals on the flightdeck.

There seems to be a lot of mis-trust and lack of faith from some individuals on both sides of the arguement. I hope that over the coming months, in the cold light of day, that facts rather than emotions will come to the fore.

It would be easy for disenfranchised pilots to cook up all sorts of schemes but it would be just as easy for managers to let emotion rule their heads and begin a vendetta. Either of those options is untenable from my point of view and would surely spell disaster. I hope that the issues can be resolved maturely, so that confidence and trust can be rebuilt on both sides.

Worried but optimistic as always,

Ghost

Last edited by Ghostflyer; 2nd Mar 2004 at 10:44.