PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night engine out auto: video link
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2004, 09:46
Gomer Pylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those of you speaking of regulation by the FAA need to remember that in the US, the FAA has no brief whatsoever to regulate public use aircraft. An aircraft operated by any government entity - federal, state, county, city, or whatever else - is not under the jurisdiction of the FAA. The pilot requires no FAA license or rating of any kind, no maintenance is required, and FAA regulations do not apply.

In reality, most departments comply with the license regulation but not all, certainly not the military. Everything is at the discretion of the government entity operating the aircraft. This will not change in the foreseeable future.

As for what could have caused the engine to quit - there are lots of things. Sometimes they just decel to idle on their own, due to a fuel control or governor malfunction, sometimes internal parts break. Fuel is always a possibility, both starvation and contamination, but that wouldn't be my first guess.

FWIW, it sounds to me like the final two shouts are "Flare, wires", but I can't be sure, and certainly wouldn't use them as a basis for casting any aspersions anywhere. As for the "Auto" comments, from the tone and inflections, he's calling for the PF to enter autorotation. There ain't no autorelight on those machines, AFAIK.