PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nigerian expat f/o's
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2004, 09:25
HappyPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nigerian expat f/o's

George Tower,

Thank you for the warm welcome. First of all, let me agree with you on a couple of points. (1)The Nigerian government is not corruption free. And so is the NCAA. (2) The NCAA can do a lot more in terms of ATC/Navigation facilities/airworthiness. There's absolutely no dispute about these facts. I'm all in favour of calling a spade a spade. But(and here's the big BUT), these foreign companies who work in Nigeria are not in any way corruption free either. Companies have a duty to help(in which ever way they can) in the community in which they carry out their operations. In the case of Nigeria, crude oil is the main source of national income and its extraction leads to the damage of the local environment(spillage, destruction of local fishing industry etc). If a fisherman’s livelihood has been taken away from him, I'm sure it would be very comforting for that fisherman to know that the company that ruined his career, is doing something to help in his children’s training and education. If building schools, hospitals, training locals as pilots etc is part of the deal the oil companies sign with the government when they were coming to Nigeria, then they should fulfil this role. These companies are still thriving in Nigeria, and making huge profits, so I assume it seems fair to them to continue to fulfil these duties. And yes I agree with you, jobs must be given to the best people. But the simple fact remains, if there are locals who can do the job(satisfactorily), then it does not make sense to employ a foreigner to the job. Do you remember the outcry in the UK when those telephone jobs were to be outsourced to India? Most countries have these kinds of laws to encourage their own people to aspire to higher and better paid jobs.

I know three pilots in Nigeria, who are JAA qualified, very competent at what they do and unemployed. This is the harsh reality of life. I assume there are a few others whom I do not know. Therefore, it makes sense for these companies to try out the locals. That is my first point and I hope it answers the issue you raised about employing local pilots in any country before foreigners.

To my second point,

I do not seek any moral high ground in conversations like these, I do not seek any moral high ground full stop. You see, you raised an intelligent question, one which would have been answered without any kind of slagging match erupting. You then spoilt things by judging the ability of Africans and their so called appetite for wealth(judging by other peoples reactions to your comments anyway). Let me quote you!!

"In hinsight I wish the chap I referred to in my original post wasn't Nigerian - that way I would not have created this misleading impression that in someway I look down on Nigerians/Africans in general."

You don't seem to understand that it doesn't make any difference who you look down on(and trust me, that is how you are coming across), whether it be Africans, Americans etc. It is the fact that you hold a very un-informed view of life and people in general and that’s the problem. You can only be judged by the things you say in these forums, I do not know you personally and cannot have a different opinion of you.

Coming back to Africa and Nigeria, you seem extremely angry and disillusioned with African aviation, I can only suggest that your opinion of Africans should not be derived from a few bad experiences you may have had over there.

Anyway my good friend, as they say, a word is enough for the wise. After all, like you mentioned, its a small world and you never know who you'll end up in the cockpit with and having such severe opinions may count against you.

In the words of my ex-girlfriend, I shall leave you now.

Once again, thank you for the warm welcome.

HP

George Tower,

Sorry but I had to add another couple of lines, allow me to quote you again.

"Having lived in Africa some time it seems to me that your average African is probably more obsessed with status and image than his european counterpart....you ain't no one if you don't drive a Mercedes S class that kind of thing."

In your last post you then had the audacity to say this.

"If you want to have a mature discussion about some of the issues I raise why don't you or anyone else respond to these points I raised instead of effectively accusing me of arrogance and racism."

Dude, please tell me you are having a laugh, you honestly can't be serious. Read it again and honestly tell me its not ridiculous. I'll Re-iterate my point, lets make the conversations we have here a little more constructive.

HP