PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nigerian expat f/o's
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2004, 07:24
George Tower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happy Pilot

Welcome to Pprune as I see this was your first post. Your ascendency to the perceived moral high ground in this discussion appears to be just as meteoric as the progress of your flight training. In hinsight I wish the chap I referred to in my original post wasn't Nigerian - that way I would not have created this misleading impression that in someway I look down on Nigerians/Africans in general.

Getting back to the topic for debate (Nigerian expat f/o's) I made a number of points as to why I felt that forcing operators to employ anyone based on their nationality was not the best idea.

The summary of my argument (which has not been responded to) was basically that precluding an operator from employing anyone other than the best man/woman for the job is bad for the industry. Secondly that there are very legitimate questions to be answered by the authorities in Nigeria about the state of civil aviation in terms of ATC/Navigation facilities/airworthiness etc., but at the same time the leaders of the country were debating whether millions of dollars should be spend on a new presidential aircraft. This is an issue of blatant hypocracy.

If you want to have a mature discussion about some of the issues I raise why don't you or anyone else respond to these points I raised instead of effectively accusing me of arrogance and racism.

In your particular case as a Nigerian with British citizenship I will assume you are aware of the current attitude of the majority of the British piblic towards immigrants as exemplied by the Daily Mail etc....in other words pretty xeonophobic and disgusting in my view. You must surely accept that a meritocracy is right way to go and that discrimination on any grounds other than ability is wrong. If you do accept my argument then you must agree that banning the use of foriegn f/o's in Nigeria is wrong on principle. If they want more Nigerian pilots to be employed make them employable (i.e. the desired choice by ensuring their training is the best available) but don't force the operators to pick up the bill by changing the rules.