PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Instructing Question
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2004, 07:17
TheSilverFox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi HWD.

I suspect that you did your PPL training with us and your are correct, all of our Instructors have Instrument ratings. Not all Schools or Clubs operate this policy, however, I do think that you would find it very difficult to secure a position without at least an IMC rating.

As you know we also run CPL & I/R courses as well as an Air Charter business and we do operate a policy of promotion from within, therefore an Instrument rating is essential for our Instructors to progress to advanced training or charters (The sooner the better as I could do with some time off !!!).

The reason that most schools would prefer you to have an IMC rating (even though you would only be teaching the PPL course at first) is that it would be far to restrictive without one. There will be times when could go ahead with a PPL ex with your student if you could position yourself into an area of good VMC utilising the privilages of your IMC. (Imagine how your student would feel if all of the other Instructors were flying with their students but you were not able to! (By the way, I'm not suggesting that you should fly with your students in inappropriate weather conditions!)

Why don't you pop down to the School and have a chat and hopefuly I can clarify any queries that you might still have.

Just before I sign off, a quick word to FFF reference his/her response to your post. Not a particularly helpful attitude FFF pointing out a HUGE FLAW IN LOGIC! particularly when your response is also flawed. The CAA CPL did not have an IMC rating automaticaly attached! You were required to have at least an IMC rating (or I/R) in order to have the licence issued in the first place and when it was the IMC rating was not attached to the licence. The licence itself allowed IMC privilages to be excercised!

No prizes for trying to score points on this forum FFF!

Last edited by TheSilverFox; 1st Mar 2004 at 09:29.