PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's more important Public or Flight Safety?
Old 1st Mar 2004, 02:34
headsethair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KENNYR: If this incident had occurred during the day, the chances are that there would have been a restricted choice of safe landing sites. He's put it down in a virtually empty parking lot - which in daytime would more likely be seething with traffic and people. And I'm not at all certain that the wires strung across (presumably) black macadam would be anymore obvious in daylight.

Twin v single in this incident? Don't know - don't know enough stats. For a twin to safely fly with one engine out we need to know more about weight etc. Chances are he would be heavy because he had only lifted off in the last few minutes.

So - you're in a fat twin with full tanks etc etc over a suburb at night at less than 500' and one donk goes. What next ?? Something tells me it would be an auto like a single.......certainly wouldn't be a steep descent with little airspeed and a "controlled" landing would it ?

Maybe I need educatin' - but someone tell me about this type of scenario in a twin if I've got it wrong. My understanding is that coming to a hover at full weight with one engine isn't possible. Is it ? Would have to be a run-on wouldn't it ?