PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hot News - 5 Oxford Grads Gets Jobs
View Single Post
Old 29th Feb 2004, 20:41
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually I think its really pants for a FTO of Oxfords size boasting about 5 people getting jobs. 50 maybe but not 5 when they graduate over 100 a year.

I am really glad that Rob and Danny have taken up the cause of wannabies of outing these Marketing types for talking pish.

If you want to go to OAT and spend 60k+ do it. But understand these days it doesn't give you any advantage over a modular pilot who has spent 35K. And 1 year later when the modular person has worked as a FI and has over 1000 hrs to your 160hrs your CV will have been filed in the bucket along with the other 100's of low hours CV's. While they are getting a phone call to interview.

Anyway i really can't understand why everyone wants to go straight onto jets. Turboprops are brillant fun, you might be bouncing around in the wx flying manually wishing to hell the hostie would stop walking up and down. To then be told best speed to 4DME then have to try and slow from 220knts to 130knts in 3d and get all the services out. Yes at first its all a bit fast but after a month on line you will be able to fly the machine, eat a sandwich, chat to the hostie and find a approach plate, all at the same time and still nail the altitude on the 0 and the gps track on the nose.

Its all good pratical skills which will be with you the rest of your career. And as a bonus its bloody good fun.

MJ