PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 407 down off Queensland coast
View Single Post
Old 29th Feb 2004, 15:30
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I posted a while back that when an accident occurs there should be two threads set up - one for those who wish to express their sympathy and concerns, and another to freely debate the accident in order to gain as many possible lessons out of it without offending people connected to the accident.

It looks like this accident could use two threads!

I find it absolutely amazing that, although the cause of the accident has yet to be determined, the QLD government have said that there will no longer be single engine ops on govt contracts at night. Blimey. Is that really true? Who is the expert that they took that advice from? How can a govt department be allowed to react so subjectively and so emotively?

Lastly - I note the complete absence of arguements for NVG. Why do we continue to send out competent pilots like this with one hand tied behind his back? Lets do the maths - NVG upgrade to 407 Vs acquisition and running costs of a multi engine that (unless equiped with an autopilot) does not improve anything about night flying stability/ability. Why not spend the money so he can SEE instead?

Perhaps questions need to be directed to CASA as to why this flight was not equipped with NVG - it has been around for 10 plus years in civilian EMS.