PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night engine out auto: video link
View Single Post
Old 29th Feb 2004, 12:59
PPRUNE FAN#1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like most of you (probably), I've watched this video clip many times using Windows Media Player in full screen mode. My observations:

1. What causes an Allison to quit like that? Did he run out of fuel? The engine surges noticeably before signing-off "softly." No BANG! or anything, it just kind of spools down. Almost as if...well, you know.

2. The "C'mon, auto. C'mon, auto!" remark is curious. Perhaps the PF was a little slow reacting to the engine failure? If he was a little slow getting the pitch down, maybe the rrpm wasn't all that great during the descent (it is after all basically a TH-55 rotor system). We can clearly see that he did not aggressively flare to get it back...

3. As the sequence begins, the camera is pointing downward at some angle. Seems like about twenty degrees or so to me, might be more. Definitely not straight out at the horizon. After the engine failure, the camera aims very steeply at the ground.

4. Toward the end of the clip, we are suddenly looking straight outward. If the camera did not adjust its vertical angle (either on its own or manually), then this indicates to me that the aircraft must have assumed at least a twenty degree nose-up attitude. In other words, the PF *did* flare, and he must have started that flare above the height of the wires. It's true that the RoD does not *seem* to decrease much, but it's hard to tell. Perhaps there was not a whole lot of rrpm for there to be any flare effect.

5. At the very last second, the voice on the tape shouts two words. After repeated listenings, I think he says, "Wire! WIRES!"

So hard to tell much from that little video clip. But it's a wild ride, eh?...even knowing that it won't be our backs hurting after the tape ends. Good job to the PF. Glad I wasn't in his shoes that night.