PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CDG-french speaking
View Single Post
Old 29th Feb 2004, 04:57
alexban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDG-french speaking

HY! One question: Why do you ,at CDG airport,and not only ,insist on speaking french,not only on the ground but also in the air? It is very
difficult sometime to try and listen all the french and english mixture,without getting a headeache.I understand french ,but all this french ,english,french ,english ...I tell you,it's not safe!
Everybody can make mistakes,and by making sure that all the pilots and atc's speak the same language you can avoid many of this mistakes.Don't have the wrong impression that pilots listen on the freq only when they hear their callsign.We are listening all the time ,especially on TMA and ground,all com.I think it's a safety issue.Finally ,our life it's on the line.
I can give you one ex ,from the ground.Smart french pilot,instructed in french to give way to us.We received taxi clearance,in english,but ,as I understand some french,I waited for few seconds to see what the other plane,coming from behind ,will do.He just came in sight,and passed like a bullet ! No appologies,just some harsh discussion in french between the controller and the speeding pilot.If I wouldn't have understood french ,I would've start taxiing,not seeing the oncoming plane,and maybe got into some mess.It's a busy international airport,not a domestic one.
Don't get me wrong.French is a beautifull language,but it's not the aviation language.
And it's not only in France that this happen.Also Greece,Turkey ,maybe some other.
ps . I was amazed to hear some 'american' callsign ,requesting clearance in a perfect,fluent french. I think they have translators now,like the chinese

Brgds
Alex