PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATCO murdered in Zurich (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 29th Feb 2004, 03:59
694c

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skyguide now have a massive image problem, and it's going to get worse with the forthcoming publication of the report into the collision over the Lake of Constance. I wonder how long it will be before the MBA consultants that so many Swiss companies seem to depend on, with their talk of 'downsides, benchmarking, core values and corporate identity' will advise them to change their name. After all they've done it with monotonous regularity in the recent past - from Radio Schweiz to Swisscontrol to Skyguide - with all the associated costs of 'rebranding'. No wonder Zurich airport has the highest landing fees and passenger taxes in the world. It also now has the worst delay statistics in Europe. My suggestion for a new name would be 'Extraordinary'. It matches 'Unique' and reflects the extraordinary fact that ATC controllers in Zurich have watched no less than five airliners disappear from their radar screens to impact the ground with fatal results over the last 14 years. One of their principal spokespersons on this thread goes by the name of 'Spuds McKenzie'. If I remember correctly this was a one-eyed dog that was ditched as a slogan by the Budweiser brewery some time ago for being commercially irrelevant - rather a suitable name for a Skyguide controller don't you think?