PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing versus Airbus (not again!)
View Single Post
Old 29th Feb 2004, 03:11
VC-10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are a myriad of arguments as to who builds the better airliner, but there is a clear divide in relevancy of opinion, the foundation of which is why are you in the thing in the first place – i.e. are you fortunate enough to get paid for what you enjoy doing, (lets not get into the merits of the poor pay or clueless management) or do you pay to “go by air”

I read with great interest the debates of a “real pilots aircraft” versus the latest technology employed to “take the strain” (if you live in the UK you may recall the old phrase – “let the train take the strain” and look at the bloody mess that’s all in now!) but what is clear here is that the argument persists mainly between pilots who have not flown both types.

The performance characteristics of the various aircraft are never really debated and although reference is made as to why an airline would buy or has bought a certain type, almost all are immaterial to the debate, after all it is you Ladies and Gentlemen who ACTUALLY fly the aircraft. Just because it delivers more for less does not make it a good aircraft to the pilot, or does it?

I am interested in why in your experience/opinion YOU think one is superior to the other, I can read the manufacturers own web site or read from the report and accounts as to the economics of specific types of aircraft. There is no hidden agenda here, just a respect for professional opinion.

Now before anyone gets excited about my views, (and I fully respect the fact I am a guest on this forum, I only ever get to sit between the first and last rows in the cabin, my office is on the ground, not in the sky) I have been fortunate to fly in most (western) modern airliners. Although I pay for the privilege of flying, I am rarely able to select the type of aircraft I travel on, but, were I given the choice then for many reasons I would travel Boeing. I have no factual evidence as to superiority other than they are generally faster (over a 12 hour flight that does make a difference to me) and offer greater passenger comfort. Specifically, the 777-300 is at the top of the list, it is quiet, comfortable and quick – it is also a stunning aircraft, it looks as capable as it clearly is, whereas the A340-200/300 looks like it stole its engines from the Avro85 and climbs like one too; but how do you answer the question posed in the title of this thread, answers please…