PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MMMmmmiles Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2004, 22:43
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maggie screens

Bang on the money!

When the Hawk (drooooool!) was developed into the Maggie, there were a number of improvements in order to make it a more practical and durable trainer.

The Hawk did have 2 identical cockpits. However, these were too small to squeeze a parachute- equipped pilot in.

Enlarging the cockpits also exacerbated the buffeting and draughts in the rear cockpit - the later Maggies (of which mine is actually 6th from last of 1200+ built) had the larger plain perspex screen.

My guess also is that it was intended to also protect the canvas blind flying hood folded behind the rear cockpit.

I have lost count of the number of times I have been asked ' why is the rear screen wrong?'. It is dead right of course.

In practice, the rear cockpit is a lot draughtier than the front but is a lot roomier. My front seaters often wax lyrical about the snug, cosy, superb, unobstructed fighter-like seating position in the front (Takatakatak!)

CofG dictates that I fly/ display it solo from the front but I do prefer the rear cockpit for the above reason.

An absolute joy of a flying machine - I love it to death. Isn't it such a pity that they are as rare as hens teeth in airworthy conditon?

HP