PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hot News - 5 Oxford Grads Gets Jobs
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2004, 05:44
George Foreman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is intended by this post ?

As you say, interesting so far as it goes.

However, since you ask, my broader concern is who are you trying to persuade here? yourself or your audience?

If you, personally, are sold on going to Oxford, then fine, I am happy for you! Oxford has a fine reputation for the quality of the training. So do other places. I looked at it carefully and I was impressed, but I chose not to go there. I had my reasons.

However, it would be unreasonable

... to seek to validate your decision here, or

... to seek to influence the members of this community, ie to be seen to be positively promoting the perceived benefits of this one specific Integrated course, whilst not even mentioning (ie coming across as being almost blind to) some of the highly credible (and more price competitive) alternatives.

Oxford train a lot of pilots. Of course it is good news, but not *such* big news to hear that a handfull of graduates from Oxford, or anywhere else, recently got jobs. As Oxford themselves say in the thread that it does happen, from time to time! Airlines hire pilots on an ongoing basis to fill retirements, people moving on, or expansion in their business !

Iīm not an insider in any way, but I know of several modular people (various experience levels) who have landed jobs over the last year. It is also a fact that many recent graduates from Jerez have landed jet airline jobs - some with the assistance of the school (ie with airlines who have approached the school directly) and some as a result of their own direct efforts. I dare bet that Cabair grads too, are having their successes. You would expect this within a sizeable, dynamic, and still growing industry; ie pilot recruitment is not unique to Oxford!

I personally don't understand the market well enough to know whether graduates from any one JAR FTO are relatively more successful than others at the moment. I suspect that you don't either and that much of the time it is as much about "people issues".

Donīt get me wrong, we are all interested in news about which airlines have recruited, and, if they have a preferred FTO (as some seem to), an understanding of the reasons which lie behind this. That would be genuine insight.

Please let's keep this discussion balanced and in perspective. The complexities of recruitment in this industry extend well beyond the carefully worded marketing material of any one FTO.

Kind Regards and Best of Luck,
George.

Last edited by George Foreman; 28th Feb 2004 at 08:57.