PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Panic Attacks ATPL
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2004, 04:33
beamer

Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts
An interesting thread - particuarly the last post from Spartacan. I know nothing of medical matters so I will not go further on that topic but I have been in aviation for nearly thirty years so perhaps I can add a little insight.

I can sympathise with anyone who feels that it is time to leave the industry - almost every operator is squeezing its staff ( not just its pilots) until the pip squeeks - have to keep the shareholders happy after all. If you make it through the long long process of training into the rhs you will meet many splendid like minded people who simply like flying aerolanes. Then the complications begin - the loans have to be repaid, bonds considered, night flights, tight rosters, lack of weekends, pressures on family life - it all adds up. For a while the enjoyment
of the job will keep you sane but unless you are lucky (?) enough to fly for a major operator - the balance between love of job and
quality of life changes usually in a negative sense. Some of course are so besotted by civil aviation that they will laugh away the negative elements and carry on doing so for years. Others drift away before or after their second divorce - others plod on dreaming of early retirement and that cottage by the sea.

I am not trying to be the bringer of gloom and despondancy but it does seem to me that many who enter this profession do so wearing tinted glasses - raybans of course. If you are serious about a career flying commercial aircraft - talk to people who have done the job for a decade or more, get the real facts and make a considered judgement before changing your life.