PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nigerian expat f/o's
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2004, 01:38
mayotte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think in Nigeria is no expatriate employed as a pilot of helicopter because there are many Nigerians available to do this work. Many ex-Nigerian Air Force.
It is my experience that is the same as every other place and there is good and bad. Mr Tower makes his observations based on one person who is like a brush - maybe that person think the same of him!!

lets for heavens sake get the right kinds of people. Having lived in Africa some time it seems to me that your average African is probably more obsessed with status and image than his european counterpart....you ain't no one if you don't drive a Mercedes S class that kind of thing. Well with being a pilot being perceived as very glamourous the odds are very high on any training schemes that are set up will attract such people who want to do the job because it involves a nice uniform with epaulettes and gold braid, or simply that these people will probably be just supporters/friends/hangers on to whatever dubious regime is running a particular country.
But this is true in many countries, non? There are so many poor Nigerians that they see it as one way to get the better life you describe and it is maybe unfortunate then that they have not the same motivation for being helicopter pilot as a European or American, but juste maybe this is why European helicopter pilots always complain they are not well paid!
If you visit Scotland you may have the pleasure to meet one Nigerian gentleman who is Operations Manager for Scotia Helicopters and I do not think they employ or promote fools or brushes!