PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway state decodes - these weren't in the book..
Old 27th Feb 2004, 19:38
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi 3Ws,

you're incorrect in your assumptions. That is to say, you are very close to being correct.

The three number-groups are a standard though non-compulsory parts of any METAR. Called RUNWAY STATE MESSAGEs, promulgated by ICAO Annex 3 since 1998 guess I if my memory serves me still.

Your example concerns SIX runways at CPH, that is THREE pieces of concrete, namely RWYs 04L/22R, RWYs 04R/22L and RWYs 12/30. You will find further details yourself indeed, I can post if you wish.

For the sake of completness, the last two digits talk about the BRAKING COEFFICIENT (BC), being 0.59, 0,66, and 0,75 respectively for every and each piece of concrete. Please be advised, that on long runways such as at CPH, BC is measured by skidometer on three parts of the concrete-piece. RWY state message contains the lowest (=worst, most skidish) coefficient.

The BC is more elaborate version of Braking Action (BA). The break-down in such:

BA BC
5-good 0.40 and more
4-good/medium 0.36 to 0,39
3-medium 0.30 to 0.35
2-medium/poor 0.26 to 0.29
1-poor below 0.25

So in your case, the RWY state message gives you BC better or equal to 0.59, 0.66, 0.75 and that is BA better than GOOD. Good for you.

The benefit is such that my employer (JAR-OPS1) prohibits landing on runways that are BA - POOR, but in case BC is reported, we can go as slippery as BC 0.20. Same logic but different numbers apply for TKOF. All cases provided that necessary aircraft performance limitations are met.