PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are Ryanair cutting corners on safety, would the Professiona Pilots here pax with it?
Old 27th Feb 2004, 04:52
mini

Received 30 Likes on 2 Posts
Why do people assume that LOCO = Lo standards, COCO, not talking about you, this is a common assumption by many.

Traditionally, air travel had been marketed as elitist, going back to the days when only the wealthy could afford it. I would suggest that the "National Carriers" with their civil service mentalities carried this into the present day - Aer Lingus being a valid example, until Willie appeared at the helm they thought they could sub their inefficiency with inflated prices.

FR are subject to the same JAA regs as any other airline. I doubt their operational practices are "dangerous" per se, an accident (heaven forbid) that was judged to be caused by cost control would be the end of them and all LOCO's. MOL is on record as being very aware of this.

I think they have brought a fresh outlook to the industry, many in other professions have gone through this experience and it won't end here, medicine & law will be next... right or wrong.

FR's greatest weaklink is the age of their fleet, apparently they are the largest 732 operators globally.

I'm going to get slaughtered for this...