PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA in the west country
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2004, 03:37
Standard Jet Dep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ref Merchant Venture

Yep I used to work there a little while ago. There has indeed been talk about an American flight for sometime. If I remember rightly it was discussed with Continental around 1998/1999. I heard a rumour from a good source that this was dropped due to BRS no being able to agree a deal simular to that in BHX. However times have changed and BRS seems to be attracting more and more airlines.

Some of the barriers from my point of view from working there are handling and as mentioned before runway length.

The Airport have always said that there is no need to extend the runway however I feel this is vital for the future of the airport.
I have heard the quote " Aircraft performances will change" alas this has not happened on the long haul routes that BRS are rumoured to have from the states.
I think a CO 757 operation would be viable. However I would be very surprised to hear of an AA operation using 767,777 a/c.
BRS is not capable of handling wide bodies, when you have 1 high lift ( that may have changed) Not a large ramp, out dated ULD trolleys and in my view a piss poor attitude from the handling staff. They certainly would have to drastically improve compared to the agents I have worked with at other UK airports.

Also from a customer point of view sitting on a cold or stuffy bus awaiting boarding is not a nice situation to be in.

BRS is my local and is a good airport however it has lost many things compared to other airports. Thats just my thoughts from previously working there. I believe not much has changed since then.

Cheers