PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASYMMETRICAL TRAILING EDGE FLAPS indication
Old 26th Feb 2004, 23:00
alexban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eagle 737

the conditions for the TRAILING EDGE FLAP ASYMMETRY are:
' An uncommanded roll occurs when a flap selection is made AND/OR a difference between the left and right indication is observed'
As you see the decision to follow the orh for your situation is dictated by the 'OR' word,having no uncommanded roll .
Although it is almost sure that it was a indicator malfunction,the QRH states that you should do the checklist even without a roll indication.I have no ideea how big the roll will be for a difference between 5R-10L flap,but between 5R to 15L or even 25L you can be sure it would be much worse.
A landing with flaps 5 or up is not something to worry about,but you should think about rwy length,OAT,LW..,and not forget max tyre speed (about 195 kts , less than clean speed)
The ORH also states that the checlists 'are not intended to replace good judgement.' and also that 'in some cases,deviation from checklists may be necessary,at capt discretion.'
In this particular case,I would go around,enter some hold,burn some fuel if necessary,and if feeling somehow worried about landing with flaps up or 5 (due to any reason ,egAT,airport altitude,RWY length,...) I would try to extend normally the flaps to see if any roll appear.It would be easy to try all this in hold,than on the GS . Finally ,I'll decide what flaps I'll use for landing.
Brgds
Alex