PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - bmi mass exodus
Thread: bmi mass exodus
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2004, 22:14
Young Paul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People aren't leaving in droves. I'm not an apologist for management (I say again!), but let's see how many people "walk the walk" when the time comes. I don't want to see people go - I agree about the importance of experience base, and it's a shame to see all that good training benefitting other companies. However, I've heard it before when things were substantially worse - and there wasn't a great exodus then. Of course, I may be mistaken - but it's one thing going to have an interview and holding a job offer; it's quite another thing signing and sending a letter that starts "I quit!".

I will stand up and be counted - one! I am the "contented bmi pilot" - at least in broad terms. Cos I know that happiness is a path, not a destination! So ner! I went to the edge of leaving about three years ago, and decided against it. From a lifestyle POV, things are better now than they were then.

Of course there are things that could be changed that would make me abruptly unhappier - most of which are connected with the fact that the company thinks unproductivity is due to problems at the pilot end, rather than at the rostering end, and for a long time has given the impression of wanting to clamp down on it (whilst failing to achieve much - I suspect my moving average monthly flying total hasn't changed much in several years). On the other hand, I agree that there are things that could change that could improve things significantly as well. Situation normal, then.

From a theological point of view, I think you ought to expect to find work frustrating. However, you would be more frustrated if you weren't working. Sorry, that'll probably get deleted - we can't make mention of anything religious or political, can we?! Even if it is a very good explanation of the angst that we feel.