PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How Low Should We Go?
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2004, 21:26
Bomber ARIS

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
How Low Should We Go?

FAA Issues Revision to Authorize COPTER ILS Approaches Below 200 Feet

After considerable work between HAI’s Flight Operations Committee and the FAA’s General Aviation and Commercial Division, the FAA now authorizes helicopters to conduct COPTER ILS approaches to Decision Heights (DH) below 200 feet at Category II facilities.

Copter ILS Approach Approval – Authorizations issued after a successful demonstration of this capability provides the holder the authority to descend to a DH of less than 200 feet with less than 1800 feet visibility, while conducting a Copter ILS approach CAT II ILS procedure.
(There are pilot training and certification requirements, as well as aircraft equipage, before authorization will be granted.)

Having flown Cat II ILS procedures as a suitably trained pilot, in an appropriately equipped helicopter to a 100' DH, I was always slightly narked that I was forbidden from flying a Cat III approach to a 50' DH like my, much faster, 777 buddies.

Yes, I know that not many autopilots will take one below 65' and that a 4-axis AP is required (AP controlled collective), but if the authorities would permit parity with the fixed wing world then the TRUE capabilities of the IFR helicopter will be realised.

"Goodbye alternate - Hello increased payload!"

One would hope that the increased reliability (with respect to scheduling) and profitability of the helicopters in question (offshore for example) would more than justify the investment in technology and crew training.

Bomber ARIS

(Maybe those braniacs over at the Comanche dealership could design a portable, disposable, Cat III ILS/GPS point in space approach system that I can throw out the door when I'm IMC, 1000' overhead an EMS scene.

"Goodbye scud-running CFIT - Hello safety" )