PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swissair Pilots cheated exams for years
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2004, 17:48
Slim20

Grim Sleeper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My explanations to you in our telephone call yesterday were meant to explain that it is for obvious reasons common to all schools that their students ask predecessors, which already completed the respective tests about possible questions in order to enhance their preparation. It is also self-explaining that students talk amongst each other about the tests they are facing, the amount of difficult questions and their best answers.
From Capt Brennwald's reply, it's difficult to see how it is any different to what they do at Oxford - previous students memorise their exam questions, then report back to the groundschool with the memorised questions and answers. The GS then builds up a large database of questions and answers which are then deciphered into a "best guess" answer and circulated round the other students.

I would say that I had probably already seen about 80% of all the JAR ATPL exam questions I faced on Oxford home-produced "past papers" (complete with answers) when I sat the exams.

That isn't cheating. That is positively utilising resources to their best effect. Which is what I presume Swissair did - the 10% increase in fail rates after the introduction of JAR probably reflected the inclusion of more questions from the central question bank. Nothing new there.......