PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night engine out auto: video link
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2004, 05:31
Woolf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
flygunz - I think your criticism is a bit too harsh!

The non handling Pilot had to tell the handling Pilot twice to enter Auto. The immediate actions following an engine failure should be instinctive. Based on the video, the Pilot was slow to react.
During the turn or in fact at any time, the Pilot said nothing and approaching the ground did not attempt to fly a technique that would arrest the rate of descent, reduce the forward groundspeed and rate of closure. The non handling Pilot screams for a flare as the video stops suggesting the handling Pilot was not up with the situation and was fixated by events (wires and ground rush).
I think the reason the pilot seems so silent is that his intercom and the atc radio are not recorded on the cameras sound recording system. Only the observers comments and radio comms with the police unit are audible. I also think that when the observer called for "auto .... auto" the helicopter is already descending and in a right hand turn which would suggest the pilot did react immediately. It's difficult to judge speed and rates of descent from the video but in my opinion the speed was not that high on impact and considering the fact that they did make the parking lot does suggest good flying technique and situational awareness. I have listened to the sound over and over again and I think the observer doesn't actually shout "flare, flare" but "wire, wire" but I might be wrong. Even so the pilot might have elected to go for a constant attitude landing which might have been more appropriate in the circumstances. The fact that they struct the wire did obviously mess up the last bit of the landing but considering they walked away from this impact unharmed I think the pilot did manage to reduce rate of decent quite effectively.

Just my opinion.

Woolf